- Probuild Contracts
What Do Roofing Companies Do?
Updated: Nov 11, 2022
Roofing Companies: What Do They Do?
Roofing contractors are renowned for providing specialist roofing solutions, however, the full extent of their role is not often as widely known. Roofing companies can actually provide a large amount of services beyond the roof itself, including window installations, building work and exterior painting.
Read on to understand the full extent of services that a roofing company can provide for you.
Commercial roofing companies provide their clients with an array of services to maintain the strength and durability of their property’s roof.
The type of facilities that they repair and replace roofs for includes:
● Shops and retail units
● Leisure centres
● Bars and restaurants
Roofing problems can cause major health and safety issues if you’re letting out your commercial space to other businesses, which could result in tricky legal situations, meaning that roofing companies will have to act as quickly as possible for commercial clients.
Industrial roofing companies work with factory or warehouse owners to maintain, repair and replace their property’s roof.
Using various materials like metal, wood, shingles, tiles, steel, etc, industrial roofers inspect the roof to uncover the best replacement or repair procedure to fix them.
Domestic roofing companies ensure that homeowners' roofs are safe to live under and provide efficient service if a problem has been detected to prevent anything from developing further.
Domestic clients live under their roofs so it is necessary to act fast to prevent tenants needing to be evacuated due to poor roofing conditions.
What Services do Roofing Contractors Provide?
The roof is exposed to a whole range of conditions, from pounding rain to ferocious winds, so it is necessary to get it regularly checked and repaired to ensure that it is safe to live under.
Roofing Emergency Services
When an unexpected event like a storm comes without warning, it can cause serious damage to roofs. This requires fast action to prevent the roof collapsing or injuring anyone inside the building.
Other common causes for emergency roofing services includes:
● Tree damage
● Heavy rain
● Ignoring roof maintenance
● Defect in manufacturing
Whether your roof has been subjected to harsh weathers or it’s displaying general wear and tear, roofing repairs are necessary in preventing major issues to your property. Addressing minor roof issues before it’s too late is vital in maintaining the strength of your roof.
The most common types of roofing repairs include:
● Roof leaks - Roof leaks are one of the most common types of roofing repair issue due to the extreme weather conditions like storms battering your roof. From broken shingles to cracked flashing, roof leaks have the tendency to occur near the chimney, around gutters, in valleys, and close to vents etc
● Damaged shingles - Failing to recognise that your shingles need repair or replacement could put your property at risk. If part of a shingle is missing, it is recommended that you replace the whole thing immediately
● Damaged flashings - Flashings play an important role in keeping water away from parts that could be potentially damaged by moisture. It acts as a seal around areas such as air conditioning systems, vent pipes and chimneys, so they would not seep into your home.This roofing repair issue can be easily prevented if they are installed carefully from the very beginning as they can come easily unattached when badly fitted
● Rotten fascia boards - Fascia boards are one of the most common areas for rot on a house. Their position just below the roofline makes them highly susceptible to water damage, which causes them to go mouldy. This rot can spread to different parts of the roof and potentially create a hole in the roof
● Punctures or penetrations - Punctures and penetrations of the roof can be caused by a number of different things including poor weather conditions. These punctures can widen rapidly, and create other problems like wide gaps in the roof letting in cold air
● Shrinkages - Shrinkages are more likely to affect roofs that are exposed to extreme weather conditions. Being continuously exposed to extreme weather conditions like rapid heating and cooling, they can shrink very easily especially if not properly installed in the first place.
In extreme cases, it might be necessary for the entire roof to be replaced. The process of a roof installation begins with an assessment of the existing roof to decide which materials will be used or reused. New materials will then be ordered and the roof is then replaced.
Roof replacement is commonly needed due to damaged tiles on the roof. If roof tiles are cracked, rotting, buckling, torn, missing, worn, curled, or loose, they will need replacing. If your roof is over 20 years old it will also most likely need replacing too.
If you spot any cracking, exposed nails or leakage then it is best to call a roofing contractor to determine whether or not you need a roof replacement.
As a chimney is often the highest point of the building, it is exposed to the most amount of damage. Over time, the pointing can become worn and lead flashings can degrade, potentially creating leaks and a structure which is unsafe to live in.
Chimney repairs and removals are necessary in protecting your chimney and the rest of your building.
Different types of chimney repairs include:
● Chimney flashing repair - If there is damage to your chimney flashing, the flashing will need to be replaced or repaired as soon as possible to prevent water from leaking into the chimney stack
● Chimney leak repair - The method of repair for a chimney leak will depend on the cause of the leak. In some cases, repairing or replacing the flashing will prevent any leaks, however, in some cases, you may need to replace the damaged bricks or mortar
● Chimney mortar joint repairs - The most common repair for damaged bricks or mortar is chimney repointing. However, this will depend on condition of the bricks, so it is important to get a professional to determine the most suitable repair methods for your chimney
Many people are not aware of the rendering services that roofing companies provide.
Rendering is the process of applying a coat of cement on the external walls of a property to make them smooth or textured as desired.
Adding a layer of rending or harling to your home can improve the appearance of your home and protect the brickwork from harsh conditions.
Plastering is a similar process to rendering, however, it is carried out on interior walls, rather than exterior walls. The process involves using plaster to create a durable and robust finish to existing drywall and makes an even surface for the application of paints.
Common plastering techniques used by roofing contractors include:
● Dry lining
● Dot and dab
Some roofing companies even offer exterior painting services, so that you can ensure that your property is not only strong and stable, but also looks the part too!
The process of exterior painting will be carried out by a team of experienced tradesmen who will pressure wash walls, remove damaged surfaces and loose paint and begin priming and painting the property.
At Roof and Build Group Ltd, we provide a range of paint and finishing work for both domestic and commercial buildings. Whether you have a newly built extension that needs painting, the outside of your home needs refreshing or you want to change the colour of your commercial building to match your brand, we are equipped to deal with it all!
Roofing companies are even qualified to deal with roof window replacements and installations. If you are undertaking a renovation or conversion project, adding a window can create a light and airy living space for your loft.
Common types of roof windows include:
● Top hung and pivot windows
● Centre pivot
● Arc windows
● High pivot
● Balcony windows
Roof and Build Group Ltd: West Lothian Roofing Company
Are you looking for a reliable roofing company offering all of these services in the Central Belt of Scotland?
At Roof and Build Group Ltd, we have established a strong reputation as a local business in the West Lothian area. With our experienced team of knowledgeable tradesmen, we are committed to providing the highest standards when it comes to roofing and building services.
From house roofing replacements and flat roof repair to plastering and exterior painting, we are fully equipped to ensure that your building is built to last and looks the part.
We are a family run business so treat each and every one of our clients with respect and attention to detail to ensure that your building project is handled properly from start to finish.
For additional information on our wide range of high quality services, contact a member of our helpful team today!